Friday, November 12, 2010

My First Love

I would like to say that my first love was Timmy Smith, and in a way he was. We were both 6 or 7 when we met (maybe a little younger) and I would go to my grandparents and he was with his dad in Wolfeboro, NH. I went on my first date that summer, and his dad and brother took Tim and I miniature golfing. Then we chased each other around the wrap around porch of his dads lake house. i wonder to this day what happened to him. But, that was a child love, and I'm not sure that counts as my first real love.

my first real(older than 10) crush's name was jeff, and I met him in my 7th grade class. He was brilliant, and I wrote his name more times than I care to count over and over in a notebook. he was very tall and lanky, with the most gorgeous blue eyes. We were in all the same honors classes, and we both loved basketball. I remember being at a dance in the 7th grade and dedicating a song to him, in hopes that he woudl dance with me. what was the song you may ask? Creep by TLC. Granted, in retrospect, not the best song to dedicate to a guy that you want to dance with, but hey, I was 12. He didnt dance with me, by the way. I think he hid. 
He taught me a lot about what to be and what not to be when it came to a guy. Of course, I didnt really learn the lessons until I got older. I did learn, at that dance, not to dedicate a song to a guy, and in general, avoid dances at all costs. That lesson I still keep with me to this day.

But, the best lesson learned? That there are other guys out there and if its not meant to be, its not.

First real adult love? Keith. At 18, I thought I knew everything and I thought that I needed to be married and have a house and a family. what I didnt realize was that at 19, you dont know yourself well enough to be with someone like that, and at 20, you are not ready to have a family. I'm sure that there are people out there who are, but I was not one of them. Keith and I met through my best friend at the time who was dating him. I was home for the weekend from college,and she wanted to show him off at dinner. They broke up a few weeks later, she and I had a falling out, and he and I started dating. He came to visit me at college, and when I was headed back to NH for the winter break, I decided that we should live together.
I will spare you the gory details, but out of that love, i got Allie...who has made my life what it is. I dont talk to him, and we have no contact. But I have her.....and she is the best love ever.

2 comments: